Musical brings back classic songs

Photo via Public Domain Pictures under Creative Commons license.

Staff writers name their best and worst songs of the decade.

Michaela Cavataio, Magazine Editor

For many students, the hardest challenges of September and October are forcing themselves out of bed at 6 a.m. and finally dealing with all of that homework they originally avoided by watching Netflix.

But for junior Mikayla Davic, these past weeks have been filled with long hours of casting and making final adjustments to the script for her annual musical.

Davic, who has written three musicals in the past, is now in the process of producing her newest musical, Misfits.

The musical takes place in 1969 as a group of runaway teenagers journey across the country to go to the Woodstock music festival. It will incorporate songs from many popular artists of the era, including the Beatles, Joni Mitchell, Bill Withers, and Simon & Garfunkel.

“All of the main characters are unique,” Davic said. “I play the mother of a girl who runs away. I really like playing her because I feel she is a character who has many layers and it is a fun character to explore.”

The plot for the musical comes from a book idea Davic had while in middle school. When she was searching for an idea for her new production she came across the draft of her old story.

“I reread what I had written and I knew that I still really wanted to tell that story, so I turned it into a musical.” Davic said.  

Junior Alexa Trimbur, who was in Davic’s musical last year, has signed up to participate again this year.

“This year I play a girl named Penelope, who runs away from her family to go to Woodstock,” Trimbur said.

Trimbur, who is good friends with Davic, first decided to join the musical last year to help her friend.

“I thought that it was really cool that Mikayla was writing her own musical. You don’t come across teenagers who do that every day. I wanted to be a part of it,” Trimbur said.

Another reason Trimbur wanted to help was because all the proceeds from Davic’s musicals are given to the Make-A-Wish foundation. Last year, Davic was able to raise between $10,000 and $12,000.

“Cumulatively we have raised around $32,000,” Davic said. “This year, our goal is (a cumulative total of) $50,000.”

The show will premiere this Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 7pm in the Baldwin High School auditorium. Admission is free, but donations will be taken at the door to benefit Make-A-Wish.

“We put a lot of work into it,” Davic said. “I hope everyone enjoys it.”