Students act in TV commercial recruiting substitute teachers

Savannah Nguyen and Jarrod Chermely

Some Baldwin students and teachers soon will be appearing in a television commercial that was filmed today by a professional production company.

The commercial will be for Substitute Teacher Service, a company that provides substitute teachers to school districts, including Baldwin-Whitehall. The goal of the commercial is to recruit new substitute teachers for STS.

The commercial may appear on television in as little as a week from now.

Sophomores Nick Dolan and Lexie Kennard were among the two dozen students who were selected to participate in the commercial.

Dolan said he was told to just act like he was working a lot in class. His favorite part was when biology teacher Sarah Lyle was acting as his teacher, since they were in her room and he had a chance to interact with her animals.

“It was pretty cool because we’re going to be on TV,” Dolan said.

Kennard agreed.

“It was cool because it was something different and you don’t get to do that all the time. Plus, it showed Baldwin’s diversity and what we have to offer,” Kennard said.

Filming also took place in LGI, a chemistry room, an art room, a regular classroom, and the south atrium. The production company also filmed at Whitehall Elementary.

Other staff members who participated in the filming were art teacher Cheri Foote, science teacher Jon Tietz, English teacher Steve Sinning, preschool program teacher Virginia Pfatteicher, and Principal Dr. Walter Graves.

“The students did a fantastic job,” Graves said

Students were asked not to wear clothes that could infringe copyright laws, such as Adidas and Nike, or any Pittsburgh-related apparel, because the commercial will be aired in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. No one had speaking roles, because the commercial will use a voiceover.

Graves said the shortage of substitute teachers is a nationwide issue, and the commercial is a local attempt to improve that situation.