Old bands seek new fans

Prudence Nowicki, Copy Chief

Recently, it seems, more and more old bands are releasing new albums after years of being invisible on the musical radar.
While some veteran bands choose to stop releasing new music altogether, others choose to continue writing new material, with varying frequency.
Just this past September both the Foo Fighters and The Killers released new albums. While it’s been three years since the Foo Fighters released an album, it’s been five years for The Killers.
Foo Fighters debuted in the late ‘90s and The Killers wouldn’t debut until 2002. Both had a peak in their career in the early 2000s.
Another band that followed this trend was Linkin Park, which released a new album this past spring. Linkin Park released one of their first chart toppers back in 2000 and they last released an album three years ago.
Interest in this last album, One Last Light, has risen greatly since the death of lead singer, Chester Bennington. Fans around the world, new and old, mourned the singer and celebrated the band’s new album. The interest led this album to the top of the charts.
Linkin Park’s style was much more pop-like in their new album compared to previous ones. While they have changed their music to adhere to a new and younger audience, other bands have retained their old styles.
Some other veteran bands that have released new albums more recently are All Time Low, Panic! At the Disco, and Blink-182.
For fans of these bands, they’re happy to see their favorites keep coming back with more content, but for others it leaves them wondering when these older bands will step aside for new bands to come up.
This isn’t a new trend or one that will go away, but it definitely says something to see these same bands returning again and again. Perhaps early 2000s and late ‘90s music is here to stay — or maybe these bands are milking it for all they can get.