Wahl embraces leadership

Devon Schroeder, Staff Writer

Although some students are content walking through high school doing as little as possible, senior Kaylee Wahl is determined to make the most of her time at Baldwin High School.

A longtime member of the band, Wahl was chosen by a panel of judges, including Band Director Greg Steele, as drum major starting in her junior year and continuing in that role this year. “[Wahl] is clearly passionate about the band, and has played a huge role in the things we’ve been able to accomplish,” Steele said.

Her duties include leading the band through rehearsals and performances, and adding to overall showmanship of the band during competitions. As a result of leadership by both Wahl and fellow drum major DJ Pickell, the Baldwin Band has been able to compete in higher level competitions, like the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Marching Band Association Championships.

“I just really love being in a position where you can spread your love of music to everyone,” Wahl said.
She has been involved in the spring musical and band since her freshman year. Wahl also has been selected for Pennsylvania Music Educators Association District Band since eighth grade, and is hoping to return this year.

Meanwhile, she also serves as National Honor Society president, a role in which she is in charge of scheduling meetings, planning the year-long calendar, creating meeting agendas, and speaking at the end of the year induction ceremony.

“Kaylee has shown a lot of growth since I taught her sophomore year. Her exuberant personality and willingness to help the organization made her a really great fit for the role,” NHS sponsor Katie Temme said.

Wahl said the multiple leadership roles come easily to her.

“I really like being a leader because I enjoy setting a good example, and spreading positive ideas,” she said.

Wahl also finds time to participate in Literary Guild, French Club, and Science Club.

In addition, she has excelled scholastically throughout her time at Baldwin.

“She is a student of extraordinary intellectual vigor, who brings a creative perspective to everything she does,” history teacher Kate Deemer said.

Despite her numerous accomplishments, Wahl stays humble, and attributes her success to time management and organization.

“I don’t think what I’m doing is that difficult,” she said. “I just manage my time really well, stay organized and don’t waste time.”