New golfers follow senior footsteps

Shutterstock / Mikael Damkier

For the third straight year, the Baldwin golf team has reached the playoffs.

Natalie Zgurich, Sports Editor

Four strokes is what kept the Baldwin golf team from making the playoffs this year, a tough ending to a memorable year with many leading seniors and thriving freshmen.
The golf team finished 8-4 in section, only being eliminated from the playoffs in the final match of the year.
“We had a really good season, and I am happy with how the team improved from last year,” senior Noah Knerr said.
Everyone on the team shot with consistency, which Knerr said he expected to happen.
The golf team has four graduating seniors who led the team this year. Among those seniors, Knerr said Gary Lowman was the leader of this team.
“Gary was definitely one of our strongest players and never failed to motivate us,” Knerr said.
Lowman was the most consistent player on the team throughout the entire season.
“Gary was the most experienced varsity player and had another solid year,” Coach Steve Sinning said.
The other seniors were Scott Borman, Matt Dziadyk, and Lucas Smith, all of whom impacted the varsity lineup this season.
The team also has a lot of up incoming talent from the freshman class. The golf team had four freshmen this year, two of them cracking the varsity lineup. Connor Woods and Chase Hale brought more talent to varsity.
“I just try to do my best every time I hit the course,” Hale said.
The golf team has a promising future with the talent Hale and the other freshmen bring to the team.
“Chase works really hard continuously throughout the season,” Sinning said.
Both of these athletes, along with fellow freshmen Hunter Kozlowski and Keith Reed, plan to work hard throughout the offseason to become more consistent.
Sinning said he is excited to see what these players can bring in the upcoming years.
Hale said next year he wants to take practices more seriously to try to get better results.
“My main goal is to make playoffs next year so hopefully we can make that happen,” Hale said.