Stahl leaves scoring legacy behind

Flynn Travers, Staff Writer

Even though the high school career of standout senior Alina Stahl has come to an end, the future looks promising for a young girls soccer team.
Stahl came into the program with an unbelievable freshman season, scoring 28 goals in her first year. She leaves with 91 total goals, more than anyone in recent memory.
Stahl is committed to play for the West Virginia Mountaineers, who are currently ranked No. 7 in the nation. It will be a new experience for Stahl, leaving the program she has known for the last four years.
“It will be different not playing (for Baldwin), but I am excited to play at the next level,” Stahl said.
The team, however, is excited for the future, particularly given the play this year by three freshman starters: Adriana Marina, Victoria DiCesare, and Robyn Sopata.
Playing varsity required some adjustments, Sopata said.
“The game is a lot more intense and has physical, faster play,” Sopata said.
The younger players have received helpful advice from upperclassmen. Senior Megan Flavin said that advice they have given should help the younger players develop and compete in the WPIAL for years to come.
“All of the seniors were good role models and really helpful,” Flavin said.
The team struggled on the field this year, and the Highlanders have not made the playoffs since the freshman year of Stahl and the other seniors.
But the team has high hopes to break that streak with the younger players coming in.
“In the future years of my high school career I plan to improve my intelligence of the game, making an impact every time I step onto the field, while also working well with all of my teammates and having fun at the same time,” Sopata said.
They will have to make a new plan, since a big part of their offense will be gone when Stahl graduates.
“I feel that if we put in the hard work, we can build off of that,” Sopata said.