Fochtman to share her son’s story on podcast

Elizabeth Solenday, Design Editor

Family & Consumer Science teacher Beth Fochtman’s story of endurance and tribute to her late son soon will reach a nationwide audience.

Fochtman was contacted by an organization called Living Full Out, which operates a podcast based in California that is dedicated to sharing stories about overcoming loss and embracing change.

The podcast creator, Nancy Solari, viewed Fochtman’s TEDx Talk on surviving tragedy and decided to invite Fochtman to speak on her podcast because of her story of survival and work for her community. Fochtman was interviewed on Saturday, and the resulting podcast will premier on Nov. 11 at 2 p.m. at www.livingfullout.com.

“I am so honored to be chosen for this,” Fochtman said. “It is such a beautiful way to share my son’s story.”

In the past two years, Fochtman and her husband, math teacher Rich Fochtman, have found a way to turn great personal sorrow into a project that spreads positivity throughout the Baldwin-Whitehall community.

In February 2012, the Fochtmans experienced the loss of their son, Logan, from complications during Beth Fochtman’s pregnancy. She had a previously unknown liver tumor that ruptured, and Logan died as a result.

In essence, Fochtman has said, she only lived because of Logan’s death.

So in 2015, the Fochtmans decided to create a project to honor their son, called Be a Hero Day. The event each year takes place on Feb. 12, Logan’s birthday.

The Fochtmans ask that students and teachers to do a kind thing for another person in honor of Logan on that date each year, and then to share it on social media with the hashtag #BeAHero212.

The podcast represents a chance to explain Logan’s story to an even bigger audience.

“I’m really excited to share this story,” Fochtman said.