Baldwin students split over anthem issue

Purbalite Staff, Staff Writers

Baldwin students had mixed reactions on Monday to the weekend controversy over NFL players protesting during the national anthem.

On Friday night President Trump criticized the NFL for protesting during the anthem by kneeling. This caused a stir of new protests throughout the NFL this past weekend.

Some students said the protesting was justified and that it allowed the players to exercise their First Amendment rights.

Junior Logan Snyder said he fully supported the protesters.

“People should be able to do what represents them best during the anthem,” he says. “People are overreacting to a small act of protest.”

Junior Alexa Trimbur agreed.

“I think it was a peaceful protest and it’s not that big of a deal. People are hypocrites because they all sit on their couches at home during the national anthem anyways,” she said.

Junior Nick Vargo said people have the right to peacefully protest no matter what their ideas are.

“If they believe or support one thing, they can support it,” Vargo said. He doesn’t think the NFL protest was disrespectful because it’s a right of freedom of speech.

However, many other students said the protests were inappropriate.

Junior Fiona Selden disagreed with the protest. She said the Steelers, who stayed off the field during the anthem, were even more disrespectful.

“I see where the protesters are coming from, but it’s not the best way to make their point,” she said. “And I think the Steelers disrespected the flag even more by not showing up for the anthem.”

Junior Cynthia Hayhurst said she believed the protests are disrespectful to veterans and their families.

“With my brother being an officer in the military I know how it affects their families,” Hayhurst said.

Junior Jared Koenig also criticized the players.

“I think it’s not right,” he said. “They are making millions of dollars.They aren’t the ones being oppressed and it is not the right platform.”

Some students said the situation was complex.

“I feel that the players should be standing and respecting the soldiers that risk their lives for the country,” junior Colin Poe said. “However, they do have the right to protest and it’s better that it’s peaceful than violent.”