Counseling at Camp Soles a rewarding experience

Staff Writer, Mackenzie Sendro

YMCA Camp Soles is a two-session camping trip, with each lasting two days and one night, for eighth graders at Harrison Middle School.

High school students have the option to chaperone a session to either relive the experience, or get an understanding of the adventure.

For the eighth-graders, the trip is all about seeing their peers in a different atmosphere. They get a different perspective outside of the classroom.

For the high school counselors, the trip has more benefits than just missing school. Whether the counselors know an eighth-grader or not, the trip presents many opportunities to acquire leadership responsibilities.

High school counselors must guide students around to the various activities throughout the day, each of which lasts around three to four hours. As for the remaining five or six hours, high school counselors have the freedom to do whatever they want, as long as they “check in” with their assigned groups every so often.

The activities that are available include zip lining, fly-fishing, canoeing, rock wall climbing, and the option to spend time in the dining hall to play various board games.

In between guiding middle-schoolers around these activities, setting up for meals, and having free time, each cabin competes in obstacle courses to determine who is best.

A bonfire ends the first day of activities, and the winning team of Cabin Olympics is announced.

The second day includes the second half of the ventures that were incomplete the first day. After lunch, everyone packs up and heads home.

So, if watching new friendships kindle and people coming out of their shell is appealing, becoming a Camp Soles counselor is something students should inquire about.