Battlebots give students opportunities

Natalie Zgurich and Mikayla Davic, Staff Writers

Students of Baldwin High School have worked around the clock on robots that compete against each other in competitions.

Baldwin’s battlebots compete against other local colleges and high schools.

In battlebots, two robots compete against each other in a ring and the goal is to try to pin the other bot in the arena or just completely blow up the other bot, senior Nick Pantelis said.

Two robots competed, El Sol, a defensive bot, and Will It Blend?, an offensive bot, at California University at the end of April.

El Sol did well, losing only in the second day of the competition, while Will It Blend? was disqualified in the first round, senior Aaron Evangelista said.

Will it Blend? broke minutes before it had to compete, so it had to be completely rewired before going into the ring when it had to compete.

Evangelista said they had to get parts from other teams but did not have enough time to finish the bot, so it was not fully functioning when it was time to compete.

“Overall it was a good experience. We can come up with new design ideas for next year,” sophomore Alex Kindling said.

The students throughout the year, worked all year staying after school regularly to figure out new technologies to improve the bots.

The project has given students an opportunity to experience something new, and several of them now are considering pursuing robotics after high school.

Sophomore Katie Raffaele said she was thinking about this as a possible career path because of her involvement.

Raffaele said she stumbled upon one of these robots at the Activities Fair this year.

“If someone else could drive one of those then I could too,” Raffaele said.