Wow Eyebrow Threading

Wow Eyebrow Threading

Senior Farewell: High school years built my confidence

Image by Purbalite staff
Purbalite seniors evaluate their four years of high school at Baldwin.

One of my greatest weaknesses has always been my lack of confidence. Throughout high school I was able to work on this and gain more confidence than I had as a freshman. What helped me gain this confidence were the many activities I participated in.

Marching band was something that really helped me gain confidence. When I joined, I had never held a flag. As the season went on, I slowly gained more confidence. As the competitions continued and I continued to practice, I became more confident in my skills. 

Our third place win at championships gave me a confidence boost that I needed. The win showed me that I knew what I was doing and could be confident in my skills.

My second year gave me even more confidence in myself. I was able to help the new members gain confidence, just as previous members had helped me. Without the confidence I had gained, I would have never been able to help the new members find confidence of their own. 

My time on the Purbalite helped me gain confidence in my writing skills. I have always liked to write, but I have always been terrified to show it to people. I would always wait until the last minute to turn in essays, and I would feel weird when I let people read something I wrote. 

Being published on the Purbalite has allowed me to gain confidence in my writing. Now I feel less awkward when letting someone read something I wrote, and I am not as scared when I turn in essays.

Another thing that helped me gain confidence was my part-time job at Pet Supplies Plus. This job has helped me gain the social skills that I greatly needed. When I first started I was very shy, and I would ask my manager questions all the time. 

As I worked there longer, I was able to learn more about animals and my confidence grew. I was able to answer questions that I had not been able to before. 

This confidence allowed me to be able to train new staff members. I have also been able to help people find what they need. Without my job, I would not be as confident in social settings as I am now. 

Without my job, I would not be as confident in social settings as I am now.”

— Hailey Dietz

I have noticed, in the past year, how my newfound confidence has impacted other parts of my life. During my senior exit interview, I was able to be confident in my answers and in myself. 

This confidence will hopefully only continue to grow as I continue into college. Without my high school activities, I would not have the confidence I now have.