Modern Magnolia

Modern Magnolia

‘Fool Me Once’ keeps viewers guessing

Harlan+Coben%E2%80%99s+novel+gets+a+Netflix+take+with+%E2%80%98Fool+Me+Once%E2%80%99.+Photo+courtesy+of+Netflix.+
Harlan Coben’s novel gets a Netflix take with ‘Fool Me Once’. Photo courtesy of Netflix.

Netflix’s new thriller TV series, Fool Me Once, follows recently widowed Maya Stern as she begins to navigate life after her husband’s death. 

The show, adapted from Harlan Coben’s novel, throws the audience in loops while Stern, played by Michelle Keegan, attempts to find who killed her husband – and whether her husband is truly dead. 

This being Netflix’s eighth film adapted from Cohen’s novels, it has all the right twist-and-turn elements to keep the plot engaging. 

Keegan does an exceptional job portraying Stern, whose family life, PTSD, endless flashbacks, and major revelations are the focus of the series. 

The other characters in the series, though, are also not given as much depth as Stern. Joe Burkett, Stern’s husband, whom the plot generally revolves around, lacks dimension and barely gets any screen time or lines. 

Fool Me Once strays away from the main plot with some side stories, and not everything is resolved in the end. Detective Kierce, played by Adeel Akhtar, seems to be more involved in the plot superficially, but his side story leads to some confusion as to how it ties in overall with the plot. 

Though the series keeps the pace up, some parts of it seem unnecessary to include. 

Flashbacks and hallucinations are key to the show and are executed nicely and easily incorporated to avoid choppy sequences.