Refugees get help with college plans

Chris Boyd and Isaiah Priches

Thirteen years ago, Bishnu Timsina came to America from Nepal in hopes of a better lifestyle for herself and her son. But as her son grew up, she noticed his difficulty preparing for post-secondary opportunities.

This inspired her to create the Refugee Youth Employment Program through the agency she works for, Jewish Family & Children’s Service. The program operates in several high schools, including Baldwin, where refugee students work with program officials each week after school in the library.

“The program helps students get ready for life after high school,” Timsina said.

Students who attend the program work with the Career Cruising program, learn about the college aid FAFSA application, practice interview techniques, and investigate possible colleges and careers. The program also covers writing checks, doing taxes, and creating resumes, among other financial necessities.

Twenty-five students are selected each year to attend the program throughout the school year. Some students return the following year to help out as counselors.

The weekly meetings start after school and continue until 5 or 6 p.m. Students are greeted at the door and served snacks before the sessions begin.

Timsina said the sessions are interactive.

“Everybody has a part. No kid is left behind and none wish to be. All of the students are attentive and eager to learn what is necessary for a successful future,” she said.

Junior Sita Adhikari said students enjoy the program and believe it helps them in important ways.

“I have learned and taken many things from the program that I didn’t know before,” Adhikari said.

Among the important skills students have learned, Adhikari said, is learning how to look for jobs and create resumes. Recently, the students have been working on interview questions.

“It makes me comfortable with other people,” Adhikari said.

Senior Dipendra Pantha Odari admires Timsina’s work.

“She teaches us everything and cares for all of her students,” he said. “It makes me feel good.”

Junior Ram Dahan said the program helps students get ready for life after high school.

The program “helps us apply for scholarships and apply to colleges,” he said.

Timsina said the program has proven helpful to its participants.

“The success we’ve had is very positive,” she said. “Most kids go to college.”