Baldwin hosts America Bowl

Sarah Fader, Webpage Editor

This weekend many people will be focused on the Super Bowl. But today, Baldwin was the home of the America Bowl.

The academic competition featured about a dozen area middle and elementary schools. Baldwin High School students helped run the event.

“It’s historical trivia on the history of America,” Andrew Capretto, a teacher at Pleasant Hills middle school, said. Capretto said there are also questions involving important pop culture icons and geography-based questions, such as which are the most populous cities in the U.S.

“There are about ten schools here, but each school has more than one team and each team has like three or four kids on it,” junior Bindhya Newpahey said.

Newpahey, who was a competitor when she was in middle school but is now a third-year volunteer, explained that there were eight rounds of questions in the bowl, which consisted of two group questions and six to eight individual questions.

A group of four sixth-graders from Brentwood Middle School said their teachers nominated them to go to the America Bowl, but it was their decision if they wanted to go. The group said they were having fun and were confident in their answers so far.

“We think we did pretty well,” sixth grader Katelyn Handa said.

The winning middle schools were: first place, Montour; second place, Keystone Oaks; third place, Phillips. The elementary school winners were first place, Upper St. Clair, second place, Moon, third place, Baldwin.