Luminous

Mars, ASAP Rocky reign supreme

Unorthodox Jukebox – Bruno Mars
By Brooke Voelker

Just as the name states, Unorthodox Jukebox is a mesh of different styles all packed into one 10- song CD. From pouring his heart out on songs like “When I was Your Man”, to bringing back old–school 80’s hits with “Locked Out of Heaven,” Bruno Mars definitely offers songs to please. Being his sophomore album, a follow up from “Doo-Wops & Hooligans” in 2010, the disc delivers exactly what it should, but this time, with a more varied musical style. The opener, “Young Girls,” sets the tone for the whole album, bringing a pop- love feel to the entire song set. Mars shows off his normal upbeat tempo, but this time, with more twists.

Long. Live. ASAP – ASAP Rocky
By Dillon Hawrylak

Long. Live. ASAP is the debut album from Harlem’s up and coming rapper, ASAP Rocky. Rocky obtained his hype from his breakthrough mix tape, Live. Love. ASAP. This album has traits that made the tape successful, but it has added ones that that take away from the hoodlum Versace wearing lifestyle that Rocky portrays best. Rocky still switches flow mid-rap and the rhymes about high-end fashion are still there. But as far as production, Rocky’s ears weren’t on point for picking the best beats. This album features basic bangers instead of the atmospheric beats that attracted fans to the tape. If you appreciated the “trillness” of the tape, as Rocky likes to say, the listeners will appreciate this album.

Take Me Home – One Direction
By Sarah McCusker

One Direction’s new album is at best typical boy band pop. They aren’t bad singers, but whoever is writing their songs must have made it their mission to not show any talent they may have whatsoever. There is not one song that doesn’t talk about love, and most of the songs just endlessly repeat the chorus. It’s quite obvious where the song “Back for You” got its title, as the phrase is sung a whopping 30 times throughout the barely three minute song. The lyrics only sung once aren’t much better. Ones like “And if we get together, yeah get together, don’t let the pictures leave your phone” are particularly hilarious seeing as how none of them are even old enough to drink, and they have a steady fan base of middle school girls. However, the band gets some credit for “Little Things”, which is a tolerable acoustic tune. Overall, the album is not anything that hasn’t already been done a hundred times before.

Midnight Special – Uncle Kracker
By Liz Backo

After three long years, Uncle Kracker returns with his new album, Midnight Special, and this time he isn’t holding anything back. If there was a male version of Taylor Swift, this man certainly could fill the position. With a total of six songs about heartbreak and heartache, Uncle Kracker tells it all. Whether he misses a girl or parties away the feelings, this country artist certainly knows how to sing. Aside from his broken heart, this album has cheerful tunes that can make anyone roll down the window and sing along. This artist’s story telling quality also shines through as he sings about the impact music has in “Who We Are”. Overall, Midnight Special is relatable for anyone. As for Uncle Kracker’s career, it’s only “Blue Skies” from here.