Big Fish makes a big splash

Erica Koenig

BY ERICA KOENIG

Staff Writer

Baldwin’s spring musical program has decided to step back from the comedy musicals and take a shot at a more serious show.
Big Fish started out as a book in 1998, then became a movie in 2003, and finally made its way to Broadway in 2013.
“The plot revolves around a man named Edward Bloom, who enjoys telling stories to his son. Fast forward 30 years and Bloom is dying. His son is trying to understand his father’s life by remembering the stories and trying to put together the puzzle because he cannot tell if it’s fact or fiction,” senior Liv Shoup said.
Even though it is a more serious and not as well-known musical, that hasn’t stopped people from joining. The cast has almost doubled in comparison to last year.
And it’s not just freshmen who are new to the mix, several juniors and seniors have joined as well.
Senior Zach Blanner is a first-year musical participant who joined because he had never tried before and ended up earning the role of Karl The Giant.
“I thought I’d give it a go. I’m not surprised I got the part of the giant, but I am surprised that it is a big part,” said Blanner, who is 6’4”.
There are also those who decided to come back after a year of focusing on other activities. Junior Nick Cortazzo participated in his freshman year show but took a break sophomore year to focus on Pittsburgh Musical Theatre. Now he is back and playing the part of Edward Bloom, the main male character.
“I wanted to take a year off, but when I found out the show, it helped my decision. I like the show because of the stories behind it, not just the fables that are told,” Cortazzo said.
But this new involvement doesn’t only occur onstage. Senior Stephen Tsambarlis has gone from being a lead on stage to working more behind the scenes as the student and musical director.
“I’ve been on the stage for the last three years and for my senior year I’m excited to learn the makings of the musical. I want to go into music education, so I’m glad that I can learn under someone with experience like (Director Jason Coll) and get my foot in the door,” Tsambarlis said.
The new cast members aren’t the only ones who are excited for the show. With 13 seniors in cast, they feel it is the perfect way to close out their final year at Baldwin.
“I really like the show. I was honestly expecting a comedy, but it is a lot about closure so it really ties in to the emotional aspect of being a senior,” Shoup said.
Shoup, who was cast as Sandra Bloom, is thankful that she gets to end her high school career with another lead part, which she had always dreamed of.
It is not just the show, though, that creates the musical experience. Making new friends, experimenting during practices, and just having fun are key aspects for the whole cast.
“So far it’s a lot of fun, definitely interesting. A lot of people I talk to are people I never would usually. I’m excited to see what else it’s going to bring,” Blanner said.
Baldwin’s performance of Big Fish will take place on April 10, 13-16.