SparkleGirlsCleaning

Inside the lines: Small schools take money and try to run

By Mike McLaughlin

The Savannah State Tigers football program hasn’t had a winning season since 1998, yet their first two regular season games were against Florida State and Oklahoma State.

The Tigers aren’t the only minor football team (Football Championship Subdivision) to open against a major team this year (Football Bowl Subdivision). Youngstown State opened against Pitt and Idaho State faced Nebraska on Sept. 22.

Just for participating in the game against Pittsburgh, the YSU Penguins received $400,000, along with an upset victory.

When Idaho State played Nebraska, they received $700,000, helping them reach their budget of $9 million. Savannah State received a total of $860,000 for playing Oklahoma State and Florida State.

The intention for minor FCS teams to play major FBS teams is all about the money since, in most cases, the quality of players on each side is heavily favored to the major teams.

Youngstown State was able to win, but it was with the Panther team missing six starters who were suspended. It’s understandable that minor FCS teams would want these games, not just for the money, but for a chance to upset a nationally renowned team, as well as to make the money needed to move their athletic programs toward the quality of the major FBS teams that they are playing.          

Most of these games for the major football programs are a blowout, a way to get their confidence up, and most importantly a technique to make sure they can hold their top 25 ranking for at least week or two.

This system could be considered unfair to major teams who play other major schools all 13 weeks of the season. It is great, however, to watch those few major teams who do get upset by their small underestimated foes.