k hutch

College-bound seniors face application choices

By Rachel Nelson

This is college application season and for many seniors that means there are big decisions to be made.

Choosing where to go to college is arguably the biggest decision of senior year, but it’s also the most personal. The decision should be based on which college best fits the student, said Carrie Stanny, a librarian at Whitehall Public Library.

“[Students] should apply to the best school they can get into – the best education for their time and money,” Stanny said.

Among the most common choices for Baldwin students are Pitt, Penn State, Duquesne, La Roche, CCAC, Slippery Rock, and Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

However, there are many benefits to branching out when deciding on colleges. Every school can be terrific, but it depends on what the student brings and takes from it, Stanny said.

Educational opportunities, whether it is a program or specific major, should also be taken into account. A chance to study abroad in a specific city or country could spark a particular interest in a student, Stanny said.

Another big part of the application process is the essay. The essay should be authentic and personal, Stanny said.

Stanny said if the essay is about an experience, it should be about how it changed the student, not what about the student did.

“Don’t tell colleges what you think they want to hear,” Stanny said. “If you’re not interviewing, this is the only chance you have to make your case.”

Guidance supervisor Stephanie McHugh advises against reading books on college essays because they make students think their essays are not good or clever enough.

“Write the essay only you can write,” McHugh said.

Stanny said doing all the essays, proofreading, and reading them aloud is helpful. Most colleges have a general essay, which can be reused, and a specific one as well. The specific essay can be tailored to reuse for more than one college if it’s for the same type of academic program.

The activities resume should be authentic, McHugh said. Middle school activities shouldn’t be included. Junior or senior year, a student shouldn’t rack up 30 different activities to impress colleges, Stanny said.

To create less stress, both Stanny and McHugh said students should plan early and get help. McHugh said guidance is the number one source, because counselors know the students and their potential.