Portraits by Kathi

Promenade put on hold for 2011-2012 school year

The debut of Baldwin’s own promenade, the Grand March, will have to wait another year. This year’s event has been canceled due to a lack of interest.

The promenade was to have been held the afternoon of prom, with participating students walking across the high school auditorium stage with their dates for photos and a moment in the spotlight.

Since signups began in late April, however, fewer than 30 students committed to attend promenade, a number significantly less than anticipated.

“We were pushing for over a hundred people for this thing to work. We thought that the student body would be much more receptive to the idea, but the participation fell through,” senior Sarah Jugovic said.

Jugovic, along with fellow senior Andrea Keiser, started promoting the idea at a senior meeting in March. Moving forward, the pair advertised by hanging posters, holding signups at the prom ticket booth and starting a Facebook group.

“A lot of work went into planning this event,” Keiser said. “I wish students had an open mind to these kinds of things.”

In response to the proposed promenade, some students worried about timing conflicts, while others questioned its urgency.

“The tradition of going to a friend’s house for pictures has been cemented for Baldwin kids,” senior Christian Gaetano said. “We don’t want to give that up nor have our options narrowed.”

Principal Kevin O’Toole said next year’s senior class could resurrect the idea.

Jugovic and Keiser also have hopes that the Grand March will live on.

“It would have been a great fundraiser for the senior class,” Jugovic said. “It would have made prom day more memorable.”

View Comments (1)