Precision Body

Wage must keep up with times

BY RACHEL FERRARI
Copy Chief

Whether it’s a high school student looking to make extra money or a single mother trying to support her family, minimum-wage workers deserve a raise.

The federal minimum wage has remained at $7.25 an hour since 2009, while prices rise all the time. When adjusted for inflation, the federal minimum wage is worth less today than it was in 1968.

Though the statistics are convincing, lawmakers cannot simply look at the numbers when considering the issue of raising the minimum wage. They must also consider the human side of a decision that could drastically alter millions of people’s lives.

Many working students need the money to pay for college, and they should be able to afford the schooling they deserve. It would be a shame and a waste for students to turn away from higher education just because of financial difficulties.

Adults who work full time shouldn’t have to struggle financially just because employers pay them next to nothing. Fewer adults would need food stamps or other government assistance if they were paid more for their work. The minimum wage is useless if it can’t provide workers the means to survive.

Often, people who are desperate may turn to illegal ways of earning money. Ensuring that everyone is paid a decent wage could prevent people from walking down that path and reduce crime rates across the country.

A total of 29 states have already raised their own state minimum wages without issue. The lagging states, including Pennsylvania, must catch up with the rest of the nation if this country is to make any meaningful progress in the next few years.