South Hills Interfaith Movement

Baldwin shines with volleyball tourney

BY ANDREA HENDERSON AND MAGGIE HINES
Staff Writers

For seniors Emma Dongilli and Emma Ranft, organizing the Special Olympics/Partners PE Volleyball Tournament is a labor of love.

“I love being able to make a difference and help everybody come together,” Dongilli said.

“It’s cool seeing everybody work together and be treated as equals, and I love knowing that I helped cause that,” Ranft said.

The Nov. 13 event was organized by life skills teacher Eric Jankowski and physical education teacher Tim Laughlin. Ten schools and 125 students with disabilities participated in the event.

Along with returning schools, Washington and Canon-Mac joined the tournament this year.

“It’s nice to have new schools involved and starting Special Olympics programs,” Laughlin said.

Roughly 75 Baldwin partners helped out in the event.

These students assisted the athletes by offering encouragement as well as teaching them volleyball skills.

The tournament took place in both the large and small gyms in order to include all types of athletes.

Activities in the small gym were for athletes in wheelchairs, walkers, or more significant disabilities.

In the large gym, athletes were able to participate in competitive games against other schools.

The large gym was split up into six different volleyball games and teams rotated throughout the day.

“Our goal is to not only to physically challenge the athletes but to create positive social actions and adult appropriate behavior through volleyball.” Laughlin said.

Senior athlete Nino Pisano has been participating in the event for four years.

“I just like hanging out. It’s fun to be involved,” Pisano said.

View Comments (1)