Laughlin says phys ed classes have changed, but mission the same

December 9, 2022

Evelyn Esek

Phys. Ed Teacher Tim Laughlin has been teaching at BHS for 21 years.

Teacher Tim Laughlin remembers that during the high school renovation project, academic classes were held in the gym and so physical education classes had to be held outside of the normal gym setting.

Laughlin and the other teachers in the health and physical education department took classes outside to sled ride and play snow soccer, and they used the locker rooms for yoga classes.

“We just had to get creative. It made you think outside the box,” Laughlin said.

But once the renovations were done, the finished results benefited the students and staff, he said.
“We have two gymnasiums, a phenomenal pool, LGI rooms, and a better auditorium. All of that enhances our education,” he said.

At the beginning of his teaching career at Baldwin, the district only offered a regular gym class, and students were required to take gym class all four years. They also had to train to complete certain requirements, such as a mile run in their freshman year.

Since those years, courses such as Partners PE, weight training, yoga, and outdoor adventure have been created with students in mind. Laughlin also became water safety and archery certified to teach these classes.

“We try to create something that (students) will take with them,” Laughlin said. “This is where a lot of our curriculum changes come from.”

Still, Laughlin said that the fundamentals of a physical education class will never change.

“It’s the social skills, the teamwork, and how to interact and be a positive social influence,” Laughlin said. “We teach healthy lifestyles, what it’s like to cooperate, and (how to) be a leader or role model.”

Laughlin began teaching in 1999 in the Pittsburgh Public School District. He was hired at Baldwin in 2001 and has since taught at the high school level.

During the beginning of the pandemic, Laughlin realized that educators had to be a constant figure in students’ lives. He believes that while teaching is challenging, education is a vital part of each student’s life.

“(Students) are still young adults who need guidance and support,” Laughlin said. “I know the benefits and what happens, not only in mind, body, and spirit, but socially.”

Laughlin is known among students for his positive attitude, upbeat nature, and words of encouragement.

“You always have to work to be better. You have to put the work and energy into it. It’s not always just given to you,” he said.