K&G Auto Service

GMac’s legacy to live on

BY DAVID SHOEMAKER
Magazine Editor

When doctors diagnosed George McCormack with esophageal cancer in October 2012, he did not abandon the love, humor, and compassion he had always shown his students and faculty.

“He never complained or talked about it and he always stayed positive,” physical education teacher Jim Wehner said.

That positivity lasted until the end, when McCormack lost his hard-fought battle with cancer on Nov. 30.

He served in the school district as a physical education teacher for 19 years and as the head wrestling coach for 20 years.

Class of 2011 graduate Sam Hood got to know McCormack’s warm-hearted personality when she experienced it as a student in gym class, an athlete on the track and field team, and an employee in the Whitehall Borough Summer Recreation Program, where McCormack served as assistant director.

“I was very, very close to him. I could tell him anything and he could help me with my problems. We could joke around. I kind of viewed him as an uncle in a way,” Hood said.

Hood was diagnosed with lymphoma last September, and McCormack often spoke with her as they were both fighting cancer.

“We could almost relate in a way because once I found out that I had cancer, it was kind of nice to have him to talk to because he knew what I was going through,” Hood said.

McCormack’s words had an impact on Hood and kept her positive through everything that was happening.

“He would always tell me to just stay strong as I can… and that even on your weakest days, just find something that makes you happy because you have days where you get really beat up and you just feel like you’re at a loss,” Hood said.

Just as McCormack continued to care for others during his sickness, he taught Hood the importance of being herself and doing the things she loves.

“He always said to be as normal as possible (and) live your normal life. When you feel good, get out of the house and go hang out with friend. Don’t sit there and ‘pity party’ yourself,” Hood said.

Junior Ladasha Howard heard about McCormack in the summertime before her sophomore year began from friends who talked about shooting hoops with this “awesome gym teacher.”

When she finally met him, she realized why they spoke so highly of him.

“He always encouraged me to do track and checked up on me to see if I went to practice. He would be one of the first persons I would go to, to talk about personal stuff, and he would always give me a sense of hope when I was feeling down,” Howard said.

Senior Elaina DePetro had McCormack as a gym teacher for two years and served as manager for the boys wrestling team from sixth to tenth grade.

“Since I was the only girl, he would crack jokes all the time. He was good at making me feel comfortable and we were all one big group of friends. Wrestling matches can get a little crazy, and so knowing that someone was there whom you could trust and go to was really comforting,” DePetro said.

Like DePetro, senior Aly Boyd and her sophomore sister Megan had McCormack in gym class and helped out with the wrestling team where McCormack “made you want to come to gym class” and “would help anyone with anything,” the Boyd sisters said.

In addition to his students, fellow teachers loved McCormack for his genuine nature.

“He went about his own business and he never talked bad about anyone. There was no one who didn’t like him,” Wehner said.

Although McCormack’s loss is hard for everyone, students are comforted by the school’s support.

“Seeing teachers and other kids at the (funeral home) viewing was really great and inspiring. He’s not going unrecognized and they’re acknowledging how great of a teacher he was,” DePetro said

Megan Boyd organized a “Purple Out” in which students and staff were encouraged to wear something purple in remembrance of McCormack.

“I just wanted his family to realize that Baldwin is always here to support him and that (even though) he lost his battle, he didn’t lose without a fight,” Boyd said.

District wide, students and staff have raised more than $5,500 for a college fund for McCormack’s son, Brock.

McCormack’s presence is still felt, because his devotion to his students, faculty, and athletes was one of a kind.

“I still think we’re waiting for him to come through the (locker room) door,” Wehner said.