First period AP Government: five students total in class

March 22, 2019

Elizabeth Solenday

AP Government teacher Adam Foote sits in the Baldwin Bean coffee shop with students

We’re normally a class that does a lot of debating, but since there are so few of us here, our teacher, Mr. Foote, took us to the Baldwin Bean coffee shop.

Jenna Labishak, one of the students in this class, was trying to get ahead while there were hardly any other seniors around.

Some of my classes are mixed grades, so that was a factor, but I also wanted to be ahead of my work in my senior-only classes.

— Senior Jenna Labishak

“Some of my classes are mixed grades, so that was a factor, but I also wanted to be ahead of my work in my senior-only classes,” Labishak said.

Labishak is at risk of social probation but does not plan on going to prom, so that was not a factor in her decision.

Rogan McMichael had the same reason I did for not skipping: His parents did not see a point in senior skip day.

“My parents are making me be here, so here I am,” McMichael said.

Although some teachers dislike senior skip day, Mr. Foote said he doesn’t mind it, although he wishes seniors ran it differently.

“I did skip as a senior, but it was May so it was warm out, so I ended up at South Park with my friends. The pavillion we were in was covered in graffiti, so we ended up repainting the pavilion and trying to clean it up a bit,” Foote said.

He said that they had fun with it and had a big picnic afterward to celebrate senior skip day.

“I don’t mind it (now), but I do wish the seniors would all do something together rather than being in fragmented groups,” he said.