AltusGroup

Passing attack boosts offense for football team

Heading home under lights: Senior Nick Barca carries the ball down the field against Penn Hills on Sept. 1. The Highlanders are looking to improve on last year's record.  Photo by Shane becker
Heading home under lights: Senior Nick Barca carries the ball down the field against Penn Hills on Sept. 13. The Highlanders are looking to improve on last year’s record.
Photo by Shane becker

BY MORGAN SCHMITT
Staff Writer

With a new coaching staff and new styles of play, the Baldwin football team looks to improve from the past few seasons.

Last year, the team finished 3-6 and fell short of making the playoffs. The team hasn’t made playoffs since the 2009 season, but has already beaten Mt. Lebanon this season, a team in which they haven’t had a victory against since 2004.

New Coach Pete Wagner looks to change the playoff drought with a different offensive approach.

Through four games this season, the offense averaged about 27 points per game. The offense has implemented more passing into the offense than past years, due to losing star running back Dorian Brown, who is now attending Ohio University on a football scholarship.  

“We have really bought into our coaches’ schemes and what they are preaching to us,” returning starting quarterback Doug Altavilla said. “Wagner, along with the rest of the coaching staff, has definitely made a positive impact on each player in some way.”

A three- year starter, Altavilla has really been improving his overall game. Altavilla lost weight in the offseason to become a more mobile quarterback, thus allowing him to be a more well-rounded player.  

“I think I am a lot more comfortable playing the position and being the leader I have to be. The quarterback position takes not just physical ability but a strong mental approach,” Altavilla said.

Altavilla threw for around 1,000 yards with seven touchdowns last season as a sophomore. He had already thrown for 744 yards, with nine passing touchdowns and two rushing touchdowns in the first four games this year.

“Doug’s hard work in the offseason to become a more athletic and all-around smarter quarterback has really paid off,” senior captain wide receiver Luke Smorey said. Smorey himself is another reason for Altavilla’s success, having compiled about 450 yards receiving and seven touchdowns in the early going.

The team was 2-2 to start the season even with its offense’s strong showing. The defense has struggled, allowing 25.3 points per game.

Still, the team believes in its defense and believes what Defensive Coordinator Mike Voelker is telling them.

“Everyone has to do their one- eleventh to make everything work,” sophomore safety Nick Altavilla said, referring to the 11 players on the field.

Although the defense and the rest of the team remain confident, they also acknowledge the tough start.

“There’s a sick taste in all of our mouths,” the younger Altavilla said, referring to some early losses. “We came together to win a conference championship.”