GiannaVias

Fall fashion trends bring longer lengths

BY DILLON HAWRYLAK
Staff Writer

For most people, warm colored leaves, brisk air, and pumpkin pies are the highlights of autumn, but for the fashion-forward population, fall trends are all that matters.

The new styles for this fall season have followed this decade’s pattern of having heavy vintage influence, but this time they are infused with a modernistic approach. This touch of 21st century flavor adds a refreshing burst to the hallways, considering that most past trends have been coming directly from past eras.

The Converse All Star high top paired with a dress combination is a trend guilty of being nostalgic and modernistic at the same time. This style usually consists of Chuck Taylors and a dress from a fast-fashion company like H&M or Forever 21.This look has gained so much popularity due to its ability to easily create a punk rock meets chic look that has been in demand lately.

Not all fall trends for this year contain grunge influence. Some of the styles that are quickly gaining a following are vintage yet sleek.

The maxi dress, a dress dating back to the 1970’s, has a very wide opening around the leg area and is a raging fashion trend for this fall season. The dress offers a mature and sophisticated look for girls without sacrificing diverse patterns and colors.

Junior Angela Tozzi approves of this new fad.

“It’s a garment that gives you the best of both worlds – comfort and style. You can’t really find that these days,” Tozzi said.

The battle between comfort and style is every dresser’s worst nightmare. For some reason, the garments involved with trends in the 2010’s usually seem to bring discomfort, except for footwear.

A running shoe created by Nike called the Roshe Run brings an end to the style vs. comfort debate by adding a comfortable feel to a sleek design.  

Junior Dalton Dubrosky is a fan of lacing up the Roshe Run.

“There’s not much to it,” Dubrosky said. “It’s great looking shoe that’s light and comfortable. There isn’t a reason to pass up on it.”

The Roshe Run’s cushioned midsole, breathable cloth-like body, and $70 price tag make it desirable to everybody from the local sneakerhead to the average Joe.

This year’s fall trends, however, all have one thing in common. They will go out of style eventually.

“I give these trends a couple months. They will follow the same path as high-waisted shorts,” Tozzi said.

Not only do these trends face the harsh cycle of fashion fads, the winter will also be adding to the death that all must face. When the snow hits the ground and the temperature drops, every dresser must ask the same question: fashion or function?