MiracleDentalAssociates

Bioswale project to reduce runoff

BY DIGHAN KELLY
Staff Writer

Students and others heading up to the high school from Route 51 have been met by a construction project next to Beall Drive. This project is a type of rain garden called a bioswale.

The bioswale is being built as part of  an effort to combat environmental damage due to runoff waters caused by Pittsburgh’s many rainstorms. David Himes, a land designer working on the project, is overseeing the construction on school property.

“In heavier rains, the water will discharge into local streams,” Himes said. “It’s apparent that we do need [bioswales] in Pittsburgh.”

When heavy rains come, the ground cannot absorb all of the water. Instead, the water picks up pollutants, dirt, and garbage in its path and carries it all into the streams and rivers of the Pittsburgh region.

Sometimes rainwater can fill sewers, causing natural rainwater to mix with what is sewage water.

Biology teacher Sarah Lyle is working with Himes and others on the bioswale project and integrating it into school curricula. It will play a large part in a new ecology and water project at Harrison Middle School.

“We’ll have the ability to monitor runoff and incorporate that into the classroom here.” Lyle said of the bioswale.  

Before then, however, students from advanced biology classes or seniors who need service hours have been able to help complete the bioswale.

On Oct. 12 two shifts of students will work to plant about 800 various, indigenous plants that are part of the bioswale.

The bioswale is a combination of various water conservation and absorption techniques. These include special soil mixes, plants that can tolerate all rain levels and are also from the area, pools to collect water, curb channels or shelves to direct water flow, as well as natural filters.

Himes said the region could use more bioswales, such as the Nine Mile Run Watershed Association’s construction of several rain gardens and barrels around lower Frick Park.

“There’s no reason why this can’t be implemented in residential and more commercial spaces,” he said. “It’s going to be great.”

View Comments (1)