Baldwin students rise up to capture CYO state title

CYO team holding state championship trophy.

Austin Bechtold, Staff Writer

Baldwin students played a big role as St. Gabriel’s CYO basketball team took home the state championship Sunday afternoon, beating Allentown 45-42

Just hearing the crowd go crazy and my teammates hugging me was unbelievable and it actually gave me the chills

— Colton Barr

All but one of the St. Gabe’s alumni on the team are Baldwin students. The team was happy to play in states again after playing together on the Gators’ last diocesan championship team and advancing to the state playoffs in 2014.

St. Gabe’s won games in the quarterfinals and semifinals at St. Thomas More on Friday and Saturday to advance to the championship on Sunday.

Junior guard Colton Barr played a key role in the run.

“The first game we were all just really excited to be playing in that game and we came out really strong and had a big lead most of the game,” Barr said. “The second game was the most important because we had lost to that team a week earlier in the diocesan championship.”

The team had a bittersweet mentality entering the game.

“We were all so excited, nervous, and sad because it was our last game together,” Barr said.

Barr played the hero to win the game and send everyone home happy.

“Toward the end of the fourth quarter it was tied 42-42 and we had the ball with 30 seconds to go,” Barr said. “I got the ball about two or three feet behind the arc and launched the ball with two seconds remaining and I hit it.”

Barr knows he will never forget his star moment.

“Just hearing the crowd go crazy and my teammates hugging me was unbelievable and it actually gave me the chills,” Barr said.