Garda earns full-ride from caddying

Morgan Ott and Sarah Fader

Senior Alex Garda never thought hauling golf clubs around for five years could lead him to a full-ride college scholarship.

But that’s exactly what happened, as Garda became the third Baldwin student in recent years to win a prestigious scholarship that goes to students who caddy as a part-time job.

Garda found out about the scholarship from his boss at South Hills Country Club.

The Evans Scholarship is given out to high school students by the Western Golf Association and Evans Scholarship Foundation. It goes to students who meet the requirements of being a caddie for two years, having above average grades, and demonstrating financial need.

The scholarship doesn’t require a student to have played golf, but Garda has been a member of Baldwin’s golf team for four years.

“Alex is strong in both academics and character. He has an outgoing personality and is very dedicated in everything he does,” golf Coach Steven Sinning said.

The scholarship covers everything except books and food. Penn State was a major contender because it was in state, has a reputable business school, and is highly acclaimed.

Garda plans to get a degree in business and will be caddying at South Hills Country Club during the summer as part of the scholarship.

“I’m grateful to have won this scholarship and look forward to my years at Penn State,” Garda said.